Monday, August 23, 2010

Chapter 9 – Marie-Anne

Chapter 9 – Marie-Anne

Stephen looks at his father’s grim face. ‘You need to go to the police station now, Stephen. They are questioning the four men. I want to know if we know them at all.’

‘Come on, Thembi. I am going to need your strength now.’

She doesn’t hesitate. All other thoughts are put aside. Stephen needs her, he wants her to go with him. She moves towards him. ‘I’m here, baby.’

There is no parking outside the police station. Stephen mumbles something that sounds like a curse to Thembi, but she ignores it. He is too stressed for any challenge now. He is just not himself. They’ll have to park in Dorp street and walk back to the police station. He opens her door and she quietly slips her hand into his. They turn in the direction of the station.

As they walk, the two joggers coming towards them are staring. There is a nasty expression on the blonde’s face. He makes no effort to avoid Thembi and Stephen . He bumps into Thembi. ‘Bloody top deck couple. We don’t need you here. Stellenbosch is not for the likes of you. We want it as it always used to be,’ he hisses.

Stephen grabs his tracksuit top. His face is red with anger. ‘She is with me. If you want to cause trouble, be a man. Say those things to me, you coward.’ He shakes the blonde student hard. ‘Apologise, or I am going to mess you up seriously.’ He raises his fist.

“Please leave him, Stephen, he’s not worth it,’ Thembi screams. ‘Think of your mother. Let’s just go to the police.’

‘Ja, listen to the black poppie. Take your orders from your new masters, or mistress,’ the second dark-haired student mocks. ‘There are two of us, don’t forget.’

‘It would take three of you to one of me, you rubbish. I will leave you but only because you are not worthy of wasting our precious time now. Make sure I don’t run into you on campus.’ He puts his arm protectively around Thembi and moves forward. ‘Why are you shaking, Thembi? I’m not scared. Part of our rugby training consists of karate moves. I’d take them both on right now if we weren’t due at Sup Labuschagne’s right now.’ He gently strokes her hair. ‘They better get used to it, baby, cos I’m not giving you up now that I have found you. It isn’t even a decision for me. It’s already been made.’

They enter the police station. The two constables are having a conversation in Xhosa while they help the student who is filling in forms. ‘Sorry, Stephen, hi! My car was stolen last night. I won’t be long. I’m so sick of these people who just can’t understand the law.’ He falls silent as he notices Thembi. ‘Oh...!” The constables have broken off their conversation in mid-sentence as they look at Stephen and Thembi.

What do you think their reaction to Stephen and Thembi will be? Do you think there will be more teething problems linked to a relationship like this in the new South Afrtica?

No comments:

Post a Comment