Sunday, May 16, 2010

Chapter 6 - Vidius

Nonna sighs and senses a nagging, worrying feeling in her stomach. She has never seen her daughter so alive. ‘I can only hope that if this carries on, nobody is going to get hurt … this is dangerous, what is my family going say and do if this carries on? Intuitively she rubs over the scar in her neck. ‘ Ag, go on! 10 minutes only!’
She listens to the noise of the engine as they drive off. A phone rings. She see Steven’s phone on the couch. ‘Stevie’s phone, hello?’ ‘Nonna. Is that you?’ She recognizes Jan’s voice. ‘Hello Mr Jan.’
‘ Can I talk to Stephen?’ She explains to Jan that Stephen’s gone to get milk for tea, experiencing first an awkward silence on his side, and then she hears the sorrow in his voice when he elaborates what transpired at the hospital. ‘Mr Jan, I’ll tell him the moment they are back. He’ll come right over.’
As he terminates the call, Jan thinks: ‘What did she mean by “they”?’ But then he swings back to the tragedy in front of him.

‘Come on! Let me show you my favourite spot in Stellenbosch! Nonna won‘t mind, it will only take an extra few minutes!’ The excitement in Stephen’s voice is contagious. The drive to Lanzerac is only 5 minutes away, and Stephen’s excitement grows as he sees the admiration on Tembeka’s face as she drinks in the beautiful scenery on the farm. At one of the fountains they pause, stare deep into each other’s eyes. The lingering kiss that follows is so automatic, natural, exciting all at once…and it is as if time lingers as well.

‘What do you mean “with your daughter”? I did not know you had a daughter. How old is she?’
‘She is in her final year at CPUT, and she and Stephen met yesterday at the rugby, and planned to braai together, but then the news about the burglary broke and…’
‘What you meant to tell me is that he has been gone for two hours to buy milk…WITH your daughter?! Tell him to come to the hospital when you see him.’ Jan’s voice is dark.
‘Stevie where have you guys been? I was worried sick!’ Nonna can’t help but notice they are holding hands.
“Sorry Nonna, but I had to show Tembi the scenery at Lanzerac, and I left my cell..’
‘ Never mind that, Stevie. Your dad called … I don’t know how to put it…they caught four men…but…Oh Stevie I’m so sorry, your mother has gone into a coma!’
The shock on Stephen’s face is visible. ‘I’ve gotta go…sorry you two, I’ll call you later and…’
‘Not a chance’, interrupts Tembeka, ‘I’m coming with you.’
‘Then me too.’ There is concern in Nonna’s voice
---o0o---
The door at the ICU reception opens and Jan looks up. In storms his beloved son and Nonna. He is holding hands with a young black girl. This scene is all wrong and Jan is dumbfounded. Then he senses what he sees…he turns and looks at the bed with Helena in, he looks at his son again. His face darkens with fury.

2 comments:

  1. evenor moe-mackossoJuly 23, 2010 at 4:11 AM

    it pathetic to see how some people can't understand people connection,we don't choose friend but it natural

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about a bit more detail? Explain what you mean. Thanks for posting a comment.

    ReplyDelete